a new year's poll

| | Comments (27)

New year = time to think a little about what, exactly, I'm doing with lacunae. This partly has to do with the fact that I simply don't know who's reading this thing these days. So I'm asking everybody who's reading (and isn't related to me) to give me a little feedback about who you are and what you want from this site--comments or email are fine. And I'm going to make it easy for you--you can just pick a letter...

a. You used to act like a real MP3 blog. Where the hell are the vintage indie-vinyl MP3s? Start putting them up again, please.

b. You are somebody I've actually met at some point, and I use this site to keep track of you, not pop-culture trivia. Could you say some stuff about your life every so often? Or do you even have a life beyond your mass-produced fetish items, geek boy?

c. I'm a comics person, and I don't really care much about the music stuff or your home life, but do you think you could maybe put up a few more 12,000-word essays on X-Force? Thank you.

d. I'm a music person, and find that there isn't enough stuff about music and its blogosphere here. I am discontented, and need to know your thoughts about Devendra Banhart. Also, could you please list absolutely everything you listen to? That would be riveting.

e. I have been thinking about hiring you for a writing gig for enormous amounts of money, but I just don't feel like there's enough of your work on the Web yet. Could you be a little more scrupulous about linking to everything you publish anywhere?

f. Now that NaSoAlMo is over my life feels empty. When's the next one?

g. It is all about the recipes. You used to tell us what you were cooking all the time. Did you stop eating?

h. I have never met you, but I have decided to stalk you. Please post more deeply personal information. What's your social security number, again?

i. I am one of your son's groupies, the pictures at his site are simply not enough for me, and in general I find the lack of discussion of cute babies by their proud parents on the Internet distressing. More photos! More anecdotes!

j. You posted that one really funny thing that one time, I think.

k. Jesus, I don't know. I got this site in my RSS reader by accident, and I can't figure out how to get it out of my list.

l. Other (please explain).

27 Comments

Casuistry said:

Everything but (d), (h), and (k). And maybe (i), despite the admitted absolute cuteness factor. (l) is: You also mentioned something once about games, and that was never explained or followed up on. What was that about?

John said:

It gives me much juvenile pleasure to report that my choices from the list are B & D

matankantor said:

I can truly sympathise with this need of re-affirmation, "the who the hell is out there reading" factor, so...
I never knew you as (a) - but it sounds good to me, so go down that path...
(B) would also be acceptable, to affirm that you have "a life" as they always say. Though (C)amuses me - i'm well aware that i shall not view/read any of what you write about, (D) - Ah, yes, D,D,D,D,D...
I'd be happy with (E) - minus the enormous amounts of money, (F) - one day i will be a part of that insanity (have to finish this damn degree first), (G) - i'm a vegan, all i talk about is food! (H) - i've already gotten hold of all the information i need, (I) - Perhaps will be more relevant once i myself grow up a bit, (L) - i admit i'm just an ordinary fan, keep up the self aware geekiness that comes with the job, is this message too dorky? i have nothing very insightful to write - i really admire your writing (i find i mimic it quite a lot in my Construction Engineering courses!).

Todd Gehman said:

I guess fall into the F category (typical), except I'm pretty sure the next NaSoAlMo is in November. I'd even wager on it...but not against you.

Liz Gorinsky said:

God. Can I be a big dork and say yes to pretty much all of those, save (h), (k), (l), and the "scads of money" part of (e)? I'll take anything you throw at us.

Fendergal said:

Hi Douglas,

First and foremost, B (hello also to Lisa).

I would like to say D, but I am not much of a music head in the same degree of indie-ness that you are. I don't get to listen to FMU as much as I would like, and (warning: shameless flattery) the station is the poorer without your regular presence on air.

Also, G, I, and occasionally J.

Aileen said:

B with a touch of D.

Chris said:

Ha ha...

Well, mainly D and J, allthough after seing the pix of your son probably I as well.

Jody said:

D!!! (And B.) (Cute kid, btw.)

Maya said:

(B), (D), the occasional (G). And (I) of course, as long as lacunae doesn't turn into a daddy blog. I really enjoyed (A), but won't agitate for it because it seems possibly too time intensive for you at the moment, and I'd rather have you write than not. xo,M.

Karen Roberts said:

B & G

Miranda G. said:

A, B, C, G. Are you gonna write a song based on the notes people are voting for?

Miss Representation said:

J & K, with the caveat that I know how to get rid of your feed. Mostly I keep it because I'm trying to remember what prompted it. I was going to move to Northeast a couple years ago, so maybe it's an unconscious stalking thing. But I doubt it.

Drew LeDrew said:

Thanks for the time-saving multiple choice.
So: A (as very much opposed to D). Also a hint of H; your byline appears so widely and regularly sometimes I imagine an army of Doug Wolk write-alikes. Where do you keep them all? And L: high grade and low frequency much much much better than no-grade, all the time.

maura said:

i, and a hint of a!

gabe said:

b and c! b and c! b and c! more insight into massive companywide multiverse-spanning crossover maxi-series! + more domestic life!

lizlynn said:

(B). I just google-stalked you as part of my new year's resolution of getting back in touch with old friends. Hi Douglas!

maria t said:

a little from column A, little from column I. i always feel like this with people who read my blog too.

steve said:

(d) because i'm always looking for good music & new threads to follow. (l) because the bits between the music are often interesting. also, your posting of your published work gets me to sites that i wouldn't otherwise visit.

Jen said:

B, with some A (because I am too lazy to rip my own!) and D.

michael said:

Especially A. Also D.

Court said:

A, B, D...

haywarmi said:

A and A and also A

sara said:

It's a cross between D & H for me, though I have no idea who "Devendra Banhart" is, and now must look her up post haste. Thanks for letting me pick your brain about writing! Happy New Year!

sara said:

oh geeze. SHE it's not, it is HE. I hang my head in shame...but, but, I'm a musician! My husband runs a music studio! Well, just goes to show why I need to read your site more often. :)

narlus said:

mostly A and D; i stumbled on yr blog via a search for BNR's "jaffa boy" single, but i'm well versed in yr work as a writer and DBC head honcho.